Tuesday, April 07, 2009

My Little Lion

Malcolm has really been into being a lion lately. It was this game that started at Mountain Valley a long time ago, and then never really stopped. Malcolm rushes to get into the lion costume as soon as we get to school, and will only take it off long enough to use the potty, and only if I reassure him that I will save the lion costume until he is done peeing which I faithfully do lest disaster occur.

He did have a week of biting at school which was hard on all of us as a community, but it seems that a week off for spring break was just what he needed. He says that he wants to be a happy lion now that gives hugs, although mostly he only wants to do it to his favorite people.

He is growing in so many ways, but in other ways he is really a mystery to me at this point. He can express so many things and tells elaborate stories, but there is a way that he is separating himself from me too. These days he really wants Daddy or Uncle much of the time and does not want mama.

I know that this is a part of growing up, although this is making my I want another baby hormone go wild too, but of a part of me is injured. I am sort of indiginant " Hey remember you came out of my body? Quite painfully I might add, and I have rearranged my world for you and to spend time with you and home and community school you and teach you about art and music, and how to make things and go on endless train rides with you? Remember me?"

Also, for the past two days he has refused to nap for me. He is obviously exhausted but he just won't sleep and then he spends the rest of the afternoon bursting into tears, and I try to use all my nonviolent communication to empathize our way through. The problem is you are supposed to give yourself empathy first, and I always skip that part. I know I am not supposed to forget that part, but I don't really know how to do it. Is anyone willing to shout "Stop self-empathy first" at me the next time he is screaming?

No comments: