Monday, June 26, 2006

How I have Changed Since Becoming a Mom

Hi Everyone,
I saw this call for little mini-essays on the topic written above. I thought about writing something for that site, but all admissions needed to 100 words or less and frankly I am just more verbose than that so decided to explore the topic here.

Since I became a mom...
I play more.
I stop to notice the flowers and think about how my son perceives their colors.
I have many more things to think about, but also more calmness most of the time, and more patience.
I love all children even more than I did before, and understand them differently
I have lost all modesty-frankly I couldn't care less who sees my boobs or how many drool stains I have on my dress
I spend much more time rolling around in the grass in Portland's parks
I spend much time thinking about the pesticides in Portland's parks
I have a much deeper sadness about the state of all the mamas in the world
who must labor and birth in dirty places, without help or someone to remind them that they and their bodies are powerful.
I have a much deeper sadness about the children in the world who have no one to love them.
I want to wrap my arms around all of them
I live much more consciously because
everything I eat can help him develop a health brain and body
because everything that I feel is transmitting to him
because everything and everyone in our environment has an impact.
I want everything to be pure and beautiful for my son, but I am doing better at knowing that things are sometimes just out of my control and that we all will be ok anyway.
I much more conscious of why faith is so important.

I know how much I need people in order to complete this incredible mission of raising this child, and I am so thrilled to see that so many people are there to care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How I have changed since becoming a grandmom

I am more aware of our cycle of life
I watch my daughter now w/even more pride than I thought possible
I feel more peace knowing Malcolm is here to contine traditions and to initiate new ones
I worry more about our planet, our wars, our values and our expressions of control, anger and hate
I am more isolated and more worldly
Malcolm leads me into a world of memories with his eyes, joyous smiles and all that he is learning
I hurt for so many women and children
My love has expanded